Wednesday, February 13, 2013

Carly's Voice

Carly's Voice
Author: Arthur Fleischmann and Carly Fleischmann
Source: Several professors
Days to read: 6

One of my professors mentioned the book Carly’s voice during one of his lectures and I knew I would have to read it. It is written by Carly’s father and includes some parts that are written by Carly herself.

Carly has Autism and is nonverbal. Through Applied Behaviour Analysis, she was able to learn to communicate by typing. The last few months I have learned a lot about Autism and how to teach those with Autism. The more I read, the more I want to know what it is like to be in their shoes. They feel, perceive and sense things differently than those without Autism. I found this book to be incredibly interesting because it gives the reader a glimpse into the world of Autism for one individual, Carly. It provides the reader with an understanding of the life of not only Carly, but also her family.  There is an incredible financial, emotional and physical stress put on the family and I think this book really gives an honest depiction of how daily life is for them. Carly's journey and what she has accomplished is incredible and inspiring.

Along with Catherine Maurice’s Let Me Hear Your Voice, I would encourage everyone to read this book to gain a little bit of understanding of a diagnosis that is on the rise.
Pin It

No comments:

Post a Comment