Wednesday, January 09, 2013

The Casual Vacancy


The Casual Vacancy
Author: J.K. Rowling
Source: Kim's choice for book club
Days to read: I don't remember!

It took awhile (about 100 pages or so) for me to get into this book. The basic premise is this - set in a small town called Pagford, the book starts off with the death of Barry, a parish councillor.  You are then introduced to a plethora of characters who were friends, family, students or political opposition. The untimely death of Barry was in the midst of a decision to dissociate with a particular area of Pagford known as “the fields”. Barry supported the alliance and with his seat on the council up for grabs, all those with a vested interest are pushing to fill the seat in their favour.

Along with politics, there are issues of drug abuse, domestic abuse, and family issues.

After I was acquainted with the many characters, the book began to improve. However, I still found some parts to be a little boring at times and I favoured certain storylines over others. I hate when that happens because then you just want to skim over the not-so-interesting storylines to get back to the good ones! BUT, I do have to say that the last 150 pages or so things started to heat up and I raced through those last pages.

Without having read anything else by Rowling, I wouldn’t jump to read her next novel. However I think it would be interesting to hear your thoughts on the book if you have read the Harry Potter series. I’m interested as to how it compares to the adult fiction.
Pin It

1 comment:

  1. I've read every Harry Potter book and they are fantastic. I haven't had any desire to read her new one because of its bad reviews, but I wouldn't hesitate to recommend the HP series - you need to read them (trust me, I don't even like fantasy and I still loved them)

    ReplyDelete