Thursday, January 24, 2013

The Art of Racing in the Rain


The Art of Racing in the Rain
Author: Garth Stein
Source: Everyone!
Days to Read: 3

I actually had several friends ask me if I had read this book, which got me thinking that I probably should get my hands on a copy. So while killing time in the PATH before class, I stopped at the Coles and picked up a few books.

The Art of Racing in the Rain is a wonderful story told from the perspective of Enzo the dog. Right off the bat we learn that Enzo is unlike most dogs and is very in touch with his “human side”. The book begins with an elderly Enzo reminiscing about the first time he met Denny and being taken to his new home. He continues to share his stories and adventures that occurred over his lifetime.

Denny is a racecar driver trying to go pro and many evenings are spent with Enzo watching videos of famous races. Throughout the novel, Enzo uses racing strategies and techniques as analogies of situations that Denny is going through in his life.  When Denny brings home Eve, when Eve moves in, when they are married and have a daughter, all of these events are retold by Enzo. He is a rather charming little dog and his insights are quite remarkable.

This book is an easy read and very endearing. The last two pages are my favourite but I can’t tell you why without giving away the happy twist!  
Pin It

No comments:

Post a Comment